Health care facilities within Virginia are looking for effectively skilled medical workers that certified in accordance of OBRA 1987 requirements. In Virginia State, the board of nursing approves CNAs that will be eligible for work within the State.
State Contact Information for CNA Certification
Virginia Department of Health Professions
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia 23233-146
Phone: (804) 367-4400
Fax: (804) 527-4475
Complaints about licensees: (800) 533-1560
Automated License Verification: (804) 270-6836
CNA Salary in Virginia
- Approximately $18,520 to $29,903
- $10.27 per hour typically (Hourly rate will increase by experience)
Virginia CNA Programs & Training Information
Virginia CNA training program must at least 120 hours or more of classroom and clinical training. 40 hours will be clinical training in a nursing home (5 hours may be outside a nursing home). Some state-approved training programs may differ when it comes to number of hours in classroom and practical training – check with your CNA program of choice.
Information in Virginia
It is important to know that state regulations change often. This site is updated frequently, however, please double check all information with your states official government agency. Links and contact information are provided for your convenience.
If approved CNA wishes to apply for reciprocity in Virginia the applicant must contact the VA Nurse Aide Registry to obtain an Endorsement Form. Applicant must have: (1) taken a state-approved nurse aide education program and (2) passed a state competency test. One must have an active certification with no abuse or other derogatory information listed and be listed in good standing in his/her home state. The completed form with required documents must be mailed to the address indicated on the form. No fee for endorsement application, however, fees may by incurred if the state of certification is required to send in documents.
Please note that the State has the following exceptions/additional requirements for selected states:
For Florida, California, or Maryland PRIOR TO 1992 Applicants:
- Applicant is not necessary to meet the requirements for endorsement as none of those states had competency testing meeting federal requirements prior to that date.
For Maryland Applicants:
- One must be a geriatric nurse aide (G.N.A.), NOT a certified nurse aide (C.N.A.), in order to be eligible for endorsement in Virginia. Maryland’s C.N.A. is not equivalent to Virginia’s C.N.A. designation and will not meet the endorsement requirements. If you were certified as a GNA during 1992, the State will verify your nurse aide competency exam that indicates that you passed both parts of the state test.
For Alabama, Illinois, or Missouri prior to 2005 Applicants:
- The state will be sending you additional paperwork, contact the state’s nurse aide registry.
For South Carolina prior to October 1, 2002 Applicants:
- You are require to submit a copy of the certificate of completion of state – approved training program.
For Hawaii Applicants:
- You will not meet requirements for endorsement as none of its programs are approved through a central State agency in accordance with federal law.
Renewal in Virginia
To renew CNA Certification in Virginia:
(1) A pre-printed recertification form will be mailed out to the CNA 2- 3 months prior to your expiration date. If you still do not receive your notice, you may obtain renewal form by contacting Virginia Nurse Aide Registry or visiting the State Registry’s website.
(2) Requirement for renewal is that you must have performed nursing related duties for compensation during the two years prior to your expiration date. If you have not performed nursing related duties for pay within the past two years, you must also retake the state competency exam in order to renew.
(3) Completed form with required documents and fees must be mailed to the address indicated in the form.
(4) You may also renew certification online Renewal Application.
To renew Expired CNA Certification in Virginia
- When your certification has been expired for 90 days or more you must complete and send in a reinstatement application with a $50 nonrefundable application fee. You must have worked nursing related duties for compensation within two years of your certification expiration to be eligible for reinstatement, if not, you will have to retake the state certification test.
Virginia Approved CNA Programs
Southside Virginia Community College
109 Campus Drive
Alberta, VA 23821
Alberta: (434) 949-1000
Occ. Tech Center/Pickett Park
1041 W. 10th Street
Blackstone, VA 23824
Estes Community Center
316 N. Main Street
Chase City, VA 23924
Cumberland County Community Center
1874 Anderson Highway
Cumberland, VA 23040
Southside Virginia Education Center
1300 Greensville County Circle
Emporia, VA 23847
Emporia: (434) 634-9358
John H. Daniel Campus
200 Daniel Road
Keysville, VA 23947
Keysville: (434) 736-2000
Southern Virginia Higher Education Center
820 Bruce Street
South Boston, VA 24592
Phone: (434) 572-5451
Lake Country Advanced Knowledge Center
118 E Danville Rd
South Hill, VA 23970
Phone: (434) 955-2252
Alberta: (434) 949-1000
Blackstone: (434) 292-3101 or (434) 292-4037
Chase City: (434) 372-0194
Cumberland: (804) 492-9275
- Cost is $1512 (Resident) and $2948.80 (Out-of-State Student)
- Sixteen (16) credit hour per semester
Danville Community College
1008 South Main Street
Danville, VA 24541-4004
Toll Free #: 800.560.4291
Phone #: 434.797.8538
TTY #: 434.797.8542
- Cost is $909 (In-State) and $2547.90 (Out-of-State)
- Nine (9) credit hour per semester
Rappahannock Community College
12745 College Drive
Glenns, VA 23149
Phone #: 804.758.6700
Toll Free #: 800.836.9381
52 Campus Drive
Warsaw, VA 22572
Phone #: 804.333.6700
Toll Free #: 800.836.9379
- Cost (Fees are not included):
- $850.50 (Resident)
- $2399 (Out-of-State)
- Nine (9) credit hours per semester
Lord Fairfax Community College
6480 College St.
Warrenton, VA 20187-8820
Phone #: 540-351-1505
Luray-Page County Center:
334 North Hawksbill St.
Luray, VA 22835-1130
Phone #: 540-843-0722
173 Skirmisher Lane
Middletown, VA 22645-1745
Phone #: 540-868-7000
Toll Free #: 800-906-LFCC
TDD #: 540-868-7218
CNA Information: 540-868-7077
Email address: [email protected]
- Cost (Fees are not included):
- $378 (Resident)
- $1066.40 (Out-of-State)
- Four (4) credit hours per semester
While we here at NurseReach.com strive to have the most up to date and complete information available, there will be times when an email or link is no longer valid. Please notify us on the Contact page of any errors or discrepancies that you find and we will do our due diligence to make the necessary corrections or additions!